As someone who aspires to great things, I need to be able to perform at my best both physically and mentally on a daily basis. That can be a challenge as one ages, but along the way I’ve identified a key handful of go-to supplements I use regularly to maintain peak form. Each serves a different purpose, but when utilized as a complete regimen, I have been able to continue to accomplish the incredible! Here’s a closer look at what I use and why
Pre-Workout Supplement Recommendation: N.O. Explode
- N.O.-XPLODE PRE-WORKOUT IGNITER – legendary pre-workout with industry heritage that has helped athletes train harder since 2011
- ADVANCED INGREDIENT TECHNOLOGY – re-engineered to help you push you past previous limits
- THE ULTIMATE PUMP PRE-WORKOUT – Supports explosive energy, intense focus, and maximum performance
- AMAZING FLAVORS – Fruit Punch, Blue Raz, Grape, Green Apple, Watermelon
- 9 SIZES AVAILABLE – 30 servings or 60 servings
There are a host of pre-workout supplements on the market today. In fact, I even run a separate site, The Workout Nut that offers news and reviews about the best training supplements available today. My favorite to date remains N.O. Explode.
This powerful training aid, offers a proprietary blend of caffeine, beta alanine, and creative and delivers a potent kick of nitric oxide. The last is the most important because nitric oxide relaxes the blood vessels allowing them to temporarily widen and increase blood flow. The result is a superior pump that can help you power through a grueling workout regimen. If you are looking for a new best friend to bring to the gym, try N.O. Explode. The difference will be noticeable. It doesn’t hurt that it tastes good too and mixes easily for a refreshing drink.
Brain Fuel (MCT) Supplement Recommendation: Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil
- Contains one 16-ounce bottle of premium Bulletproof Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil
- Pure MCT oil provides rapid mental and physical energy, supports cognitive function and helps control occasional cravings
- Brain Octane C8 MCT oil is extracted from 100% coconut oil, not palm oil, and rapidly converts into brain-powering, fat-burning ketone energy
- C8 (caprylic acid) is the most ketogenic MCT oil; produces 4x the ketone energy of plain coconut oil
- At Bulletproof, we only use science-backed ingredients to deliver maximum benefit. For sustained energy, blend Brain Octane C8 MCT Oil into Bulletproof Coffee, or add it to soups, smoothies, and more
A new addition to my regimen is Bulletproof’s Brain Octane Oil. This powerful supplement is what’s known as an MCT (medium chain triglyceride), which can be used to curb your appetite, boost energy levels, or recover more quickly. The benefit that I find most appealing though is how it can be used to alleviate “brain fog” and enhance cognitive function. With a demanding schedule and an ambitious agenda that calls for ultra-efficiency, I need to be operating on all cylinders mentally and this is one supplement that delivers on its promise.
The product itself is derived from 100% pure coconut oil and a typical bottle can provide a month’s supply depending on how many tablespoons you consume in one day. For consumption, it can be taken on its own or mixed into drinks such as coffee. It is also great for those embarking on the ketogenic diet. Not only will it help stimulate ketone production, but it also curbs some of the side effects of the dreaded “keto flu”.
Liquid Protein: New Whey Liquid Protein
- Contains 12 - 3.8 ounce ready-to-drink tubes
- Provides 42g of Complete Protein Matrix (Collagen, Whey and Casein Isolates)
- Fast acting, bioavailable protein tubes are caffiene free, sugar free and fat free with only 180 calories
- On the go protein – No Mix, No Mess, No Refrigeration needed
- Virtually indestructible, pocket friendly packaging can be taken anywhere
While I do enjoy a good protein shake, to me they are not ideal for the gym. After a tough workout, your muscles need to ingest protein quickly shortly thereafter to help with recovery and growth. This is why I love the convenience of New Whey Liquid Protein. Each prepackaged tube contains 42 grams of protein making it a superior option for your gym bag. No mixing, shaking, or stirring is necessary. Instead once you pop off the cap, you can quickly down its contents and ensure smart gains.
The protein itself comes in a variety of flavors including fruit punch, grape, berry acai, and more and tastes great. It also contains no sugar, fat, or caffeine and contains only 180 calories. Coupling this powerful protein supplement with a consistent workout regimen will net you noticeable lean muscle gains in short order.
Greens Supplement: Athletic Greens
- Athletic Greens Ultimate Daily is an all-in-one health drink with 75 vitamins, minerals, and whole food-sourced ingredients to help support your body’s nutritional needs across multiple critical areas of health, including energy, immunity, recovery, gut health, digestion, hormonal and neural support, and healthy aging.
- Athletic Greens is perfect for anyone looking to live a healthier lifestyle. Athletic Greens helps you rise to the challenge. It’s great for athletes and other high performers or those just starting their health journey. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo friendly, keto friendly, vegan friendly, low allergen and <1g of sugar per serving.
- Manufactured in a TGA-registered, Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) Certified facility in New Zealand. Exceeding cGMP and meeting FDA guidelines.
- Ten years of research and optimization with nutritionists, doctors, and naturopaths, 51 product iterations to date and counting. Trusted by top performers, athletes, and entrepreneurs. Easy on your stomach due to its powder form and 75 highly absorbable ingredients that work together to help the body absorb and synthesize these nutrients in a highly bioavailable form.
- We don’t compromise. You’ll find no harmful chemicals, artificial colors, preservatives or artificial sweeteners or added sugar. And no GMO’s, herbicides, pesticides, wheat, dairy, gluten, corn, lactose, sucrose, dextrose, egg, yeast, peanuts or animal products. In other words, Athletic Greens is suitable for almost any lifestyle and one scoop a day can replace the majority of your supplement board.
Even though I subscribe to a healthy lifestyle and training regimen, I have to admit I’m not the world’s biggest fan of vegetables! While I do consume some every day, there are days where I don’t get a full four servings, which is the recommended amount. That’s where my preferred greens supplement comes in handy.
Athletic Greens is something that I picked up from best-selling author, Tim Ferriss. It is a complete superfood comprised of 75 active ingredients such as Grape Seed Extract, Organic Spirulina, Rhodiola, Wild Bilberries, Green Tea Extract, Cocoa, Reishi Mushroom, and much more. In fact, one serving delivers a full-day’s supply of your needed vegetables! While packed full of vitamins, it does not contain any Sugar, Yeast, Egg, Nuts, Gluten, or GMOs. That makes it the perfect supplement booster for just about anyone.
Superfuel Supplement – HVMN Ketone
Last but not least comes my favorite! If you are looking for a turbo-charged pick-me up, HVMN Ketone will do the trick. Each shot is packed with 25 grams of pure ketone ester which your body can use for instant energy as opposed to relying on the normal carbohydrates. In fact, the manufacturers claim that their ketones are 28% more efficient than carbs alone. From my experience, I would have to agree. This is a clean-burning fuel that delivers! Noted performance expert Ben Angel agrees as detailed in his latest book, Unstoppable.
It should be noted this is not an every day supplement. HVMN Ketone is so powerful I save it for days when I have a rigorous physical challenge or need to be performing at 110% for an extended period of time. One reason for that is the sheer power. With a single shot of this, you will feel a bit like Bradley Cooper’s character from the movie Limitless. All things will seem possible as your neurons are firing and your body feels like you swallowed a power-up from a video game. The second and more practical reason is at the moment, this is one of the more pricier supplements on the market. Still, for special situations, this is one supplement that cannot be topped.
In conclusion, if you are looking for that performance edge, you could do a lot worse than some of these. I would be curious to hear in the comments what supplements you use and why.